Friday, November 6, 2015

Episode 5: The One with the Apostle

Hi friends!

Wow, this week has been amazing! First of all, an apostle came to the MTC!! Tuesday devotional was given by Elder Neil L. Anderson. He spoke on overcoming adversity and finding deliverance through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. He said to think "opposition isn't going anywhere, am I?" I love that! Life is always going to have struggles, but we can always choose to let it hit us, or to fight back.

Also this week my companions and I were asked to serve as the Sister Training Leaders for our zone. This is an assignment similar to being an RA at college. We each meet with one third of the sisters once a week to see how they are doing and to help them resolve any concerns they have. We also do an orientation for new sisters on their first day, among some other things. And we go to lots of leadership trainings on Sundays! We work with the other Cambodian sisters, as well as the Cantonese and Thai sisters. It's a lot of work, but I am so excited for this opportunity to serve these sisters. They are amazing!

In fun Cambodian language tidbits, this week I learned the word for twins. it literally translates to "two of the same child", which sounds pretty accurate to me! I just think it would be super funny to say "he gave birth to two of the same kid" or "they look so similar, they could be two of the same kid".

Every Saturday we do an activity called Teaching Resource Center, or TRC, where we meet with returned missionaries that have come back from Cambodian missions, and we talk with them (in Cambodian) about the gospel and their experiences with it. In the past, we have only met with missionaries who served in Cambodia, but this week my companionship met with two volunteers who both served in Boston speaking Cambodian! It was really cool for me, because that is literally the first time I have talked to anyone who was or is Cambodian speaking in somewhere other than Cambodia. And they were both really good at the language, which gave me a lot of hope that I will improve even without full immersion.

In other random thoughts, I tried a persimmon this week. It tasted like a cinnamon peach kind of. i liked it a lot, which is good because apparently Cambodians eat a lot of them. When i get back from my mission, I may only be able to get my new favorite foods at Asian markets!

Also, for halloween, my district all dressed up as eachother, and it was really funny, but for some reason i don't have the pictures yet, so I will send them next week!

To close, I want to share a thought from one of my excellent teachers. We were talking about a particular person we are role play teaching, whose name is Radii. He doesn't have a job or a family, ad he's really sad. The one thing that makes him happy is his friend who is a member of our church. We were getting stuck with how to show him that the gospel can help him be happy. Our teacher asked if we had asked him to pray for help finding a job. We said we had taught him how to pray, but hadn't told him specifically what to pray for. Our teacher said "If Radii finds a job now, he will have received a job. If he prays for a job and finds a job, he has received a miracle. The miracle isn't the outcome, it's the faith that leads to the outcome." Heavenly Father wants to give us miracles, not just experiences. I know that God will bless us whether we pray or not, but that if we pray, he will show us miracles.

I love you all, and I hope to hear from you soon!

Love,

Sister Lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment