Monday, June 20, 2016

Episode 38: The One Where I Eat Weird and Delicious Things

Hello everybody!

Fruit is in season here, and I've been eating strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and cherries from Cambodian people's gardens (they all have fruit gardens). It is the freshest, most delicious fruit I have ever eaten!

Also, I have eaten Cambodian food for a second dinner every day this week! I guess that's what happens when you teach Cambodians at 7:00 p.m.! Everything I have had is super delicious, I could it eat it forever. Sometimes I don't know what I'm eating (such as I ate something that looked like re-fried beans but tasted like the spiciest scrambled eggs you can imagine), but I figure maybe it's better that way. I also ate soup with a half of a fish in it. Guess which half I got! Sister Pen's soup had this nice fish tail in it, and mine had an eyeball looking right at me! don't worry, you don't eat the head. You just have to look at it while you eat the rest of the soup. Good thing I'm not squeamish. 

This week we also had zone conference, and this time it was at an outdoor camp called Zion's Camp. We did a lot of team building and trust exercises, and then talked about how we could apply what we had learned from the activities into our missionary work. It was really cool!


We got to be outside and wear jeans. What more could you want?



Also, one of the activities was you had to fall backward off this log and people would catch you. If you know anything about my paralyzing fear of falling, you can imagine how much I was not thrilled about that. But I did it!

We took Ming Kong to see a baptism on Saturday. The person being baptized had been in some kind of accident, and he is partially paralyzed and can't speak. It was really cool though, because you could see his testimony in his eyes and in his smile. Ming Kong got a little nervous when the missionary performing the baptism almost dropped the guy, but we told her she can pick someone "big big" to baptize her, and she felt a lot better. I was really excited because she is so ready to be baptized, and I can't wait to see her as happy as the guy on Saturday was. She gave up tea this week, so she should get baptized this upcoming weekend.

I read a great talk this week by Elder Henry B. Eyring. He told a story about his father, who had debilitating bone cancer, but he was still determined to be faithful to the end of his life. He was one day volunteering weeding in a church owned vegetable farm that grows food tor humanitarian uses. He was in so much pain that he couldn't even kneel. He weeded laying on his stomach and scooting along the ground for several hours. After the day was done, someone told him the weeds he had pulled had already been sprayed and would have died in a few days. The weeds that needed pulled were in a different part or the farm. When he laughingly told this story to a young Elder Eyring, Elder Eyring asked how he could find so much pain for nothing amusing. Wasn't he frustrated that he had wasted his whole day, or mad that no one hat told him earlier? His father looked at him and said "I didn't come for the weeds. I came for the Savior." I like to keep that in mind when I'm knocking doors that no one opens, or talking to people who just want to tell me I'm wrong, or pretty much any frustrating situation. I didn't come on a mission for the weeds. I came for the Savior.

I love you all. Keep your chins up!

Love,

Sister Lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment