Monday, June 6, 2016

Episode 36: The One with the Old Lady and a Kitchen Fire

Hello everybody! I hope this finds you all doing well.

As I am sure you know by now, missionary work is never boring. For example, this week we went to visit a really old Cambodian lady who has stopped coming to church because at the age of 95, her health is not the best. We always go to her back door because if faces the street (I know, weird). Well, when we got to the door, it was open, which is unusual, so we just walked in. There in the kitchen was some guy I've never seen trying to put out a fire that basically took over the stove top. His method was essentially beating the fire to death with a wet rag, and it was more effective than you might think. Once he got the fire put out, the smoke alarm started going off (I think he roasted the rag, among other things), and so we had to help open all the doors and windows and fan the smoke out of the house. Never a dull moment!

This week we taught two Cambodian kids named Kameron and Beverly, and they are amazing! We shared the first vision with them, and asked them what they thought would happen after Joseph Smith prayed. Beverly said "I think God and Jesus told Joseph Smith to be the new prophet", and Kameron said "and they probably wanted him to tell everybody about how they could have the truth again". Basically we said "yeah, that's what happened", and then gave them the Book of Mormon. They both started reading it right then and there! I'm so excited for these two!

Also, it was about 95 here yesterday, so knocking doors was basically hotter than sirrache sauce (which I've started eating a lot because Asians love it). We were knocking in a mobile home park for retired people, and just when I thought I was going to pass out from heat, a really nice lady let us in and gave us some ice water. And she actually had air conditioning, which is pretty rare here. It turns out she got baptized many years ago, but then she got offended by something someone at church said to her, and she hasn't come back since. She was really kind, but it is always sad to me when people lose their faith because of someone else's imperfections.

This week has been a little hard for me as well. There have just been a lot of people who seem so ready for the gospel, but they make promises to do things like go to church that they never intend to keep. At first I was getting really bogged down about it, feeling really tired, and on some level I just wanted to give up. But, I have decided that I am not a quitter, so I started studying to try to find a better solution. I found so many great things in the Book of Mormon and in the words of living apostles, but I want to share on thing in particular with you. 



How great is it to know that God is always supporting us! He never leaves us alone in our times of trial. And because of the Atonement of our Savior, Jesus Christ, we never go through trials or struggles alone. He knows us perfectly, he knows exactly what we are going through because He has gone through it for us, and He knows specifically how best to help you through it. Isn't that amazing!

Well, that's all I have for today! 

Love,

Sister Lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment