Monday, June 13, 2016

Episode 37: The One Where I Learned to Make Cambodian Food

Hello everybody! So much has happened this week, that I honestly don't know where to start or what to include, so forgive me if my thoughts are kind of scattered. It feels like I've lived a whole month's worth of events since last Monday!

On Saturday (see, I told you I was going to be scattered), we were supposed to have so much going on that we weren't sure we would actually make it to all of our appointments. And then, of course, 70% of them fell through, and so we were trying to decide what to do to find new people to teach. Well, apparently the answer is cook with the Cambodians, but we didn't know that at the time.

Here is what happened. We went to Bong Roth's house (Souhan and Sakura's house) to teach their aunt, Ming Kong. We taught her while everyone else was at the grocery store, and they got back as we were about to leave. Bong Roth asked if we could stay for a bit and help them cook, and we said sure. So I learned (kinda) how to make Kuthio (I probably spelled that way wrong), which is kind of like a Cambodian pho with a beef base in stead of chicken, and way more delicious. The reason it was a finding activity is because one of Bong Roth's friends showed up, and now we are teaching her, and they also gave us the phone number of another lady who is interested. Basically i have decided that the best way to find more Cambodians is to hang out with the Cambodians we already know, because it is a lot easier than hunting them down in the midst of everyone else. Plus, I get to eat tasty food!

Ming Kong is actually doing really well right now. She came to church and stayed for all 3 hours, even though Bong Roth had to go home to take care of her baby. Ming Kong told us that as soon as she walked into the chapel, she could feel something different. She wants to get baptized and follow Jesus Christ so much, and you can tell that she is really committed to it, too.  

After church we went to Bong Roth's to talk to Ming Kong about how she felt and to answer any questions she might have. We were visiting a little bit with their whole family, and Tami (Bong Roth's 2 year old daughter, who is kinda spoiled) was doing a little potty dance. Ming Kong and Sister Pen were asking her (in Cambodian) if she needed to go to the bathroom and if she needed any help. Apparently, Tami was not amused, because after ignoring them for a couple minutes, she gave Ming Kong the stink eye and shouted "no pee, Kong!" It was particularly funny because Ming Kong thought it was so funny, and her laugh is really contagious.

Also, on Monday we helped a lady move in to a house in our area all the way from Kent. Her name is Marry Anne, or "Granny Standing Bear" (she does not appear to be native American, but I don't know the story yet if it is a knock name). The Kent missionaries called us and asked us to be there when she got to her new place, which is good because she was by herself and it was 95 degrees out, and I think she would have died if she had tried to unload all her stuff without any help. We have gone over every day since to try to talk to her again, but she is never home! I think her room mate (who is pretty old and uses an electric scooter) is getting tired of us being there all the time, but we are really anxious to teach her, because she has already been to church twice, and has had some lessons from the missionaries in Kent.

Other than that, we have just been keeping really busy with lots of good things. I have been studying a lot, particularly about making love our motivation behind everything we do. I have been particularly pondering on Proverbs 10:12, which says "Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins." I haven't uncovered all the meanings of that verse yet, but I have noticed recently that the more you love someone, the less you notice their mistakes, and the more you focus on their strengths rather than their faults. It is really cool! I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm working on it, and it makes a world of difference.

Well, that's all for today! Except for this selfie Sister Pen took while I was driving. Excuse my face, I was caught off guard.



Love,

Sister Lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment