Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Episode 30: The One with Sister Pen!

Hello everyone! It has been an awesome but crazy week!

First of all, Sister Pen is here! She is awesome. She is 22 years old, and has already graduated college with a degree in international relations. It is really cool to teach Cambodians with her because they really connect with her and open up to her in a way that they don't open up to white people (in other words, me). I'm also learning tons of Cambodian because we talk to each other pretty much only in Cambodian, and she fills in the words I don;t know and corrects my pronunciation ad it is awesome!

This week has also been a week of miracles. When we came in, we were basically starting from scratch. The work had been a little slow, and the sisters before us didn't really have anyone solid to work with. But, in the last 6 days, we found 10 new investigators, and more than half of them are Cambodian. We are doing a lot of Cambodian work, and I am super excited about it.

We also had ward and stake boundary changes the day before I got here, and a lot of people are sad about it because they lost ward members they loved, and now they have to build relationships with new people. But I am super excited about it because Our ward doubled in side and got new area that used to be in the Federal Way mission. There were so many people at church yesterday, that they ran out of sacrament and had to do it twice! The ward that merged with ours has never had sister missionaries either, so there are a lot of members who are really excited to work with us.

In other news, it has been sunny and in the 70s and 80s almost all week. I already have a tan line from the shoes I wear. It's really great, because a lot of people are outside, which makes it easier to talk to them. It's also a lot more fun to knock doors in the sun than in the dark and rain.

On the more spiritual side of things, I have been thinking a lot about prayer this week. We have been teaching a lot of the Cambodians about prayer because many of them have health or family problems, and we teach them how much prayer can help. For example, we went to the home of
Om Jon, an investigator who had been taught about a year ago, to see if he was interested in learning again. He opened the door, and when he recognized who we were, he smiled, invited us in, and asked us to pray with his family, all before we even asked if he was interested! He said he remembered how important and how powerful prayer is, but he couldn't remember how to do it. We taught him again, and he was so excited to be able to pray on his own every day. I hope that is how we all feel about prayer. I know that prayer is one of our greatest resources in life, and that it can bring us great blessings. I hope we are all as excited to communicate with our Father in Heaven as Om Jon is.

Well, that is all for this week. I love you all, and I can't wait to hear from you.

Love,

Sister Lemon

This is me and my new companion, Sister Pen!
This is all of the trainers for this transfer, before we met our new companions.
And this is when I first met Sister Pen!

No comments:

Post a Comment