Sunday, October 18, 2015

Hello everyone! I have now been at the MTC for 12 days. Sometimes it feels like it has already been 12 weeks, and sometimes it feels like it hasn't even been 12 hours. It's crazy and fun and I love it! Also, just a warning, but this email will not be any particular order, because I have a lot I want to tell you all about, but i can't remember what order it happened in!

First of all, the ambassador's visit last week was pretty anticlimactic. He was just a really nice little Vietnamese guy, and he just asked us where we were all from and then left. I think he spent more time with the two elders learning Vietnamese. Also, if you were hoping to see a picture of me with the ambassador, no such luck, because it didn't happen. But I have lots of other great pictures coming your way, so fear not, you will see my pretty face later today!

As for the title of this email, here is the story:
A few days a go I wore rain boots to class because they're really cute, even though it wasn't raining. They're black ankle rain boots with a big white bow on the front, which I promise is important to the story. That evening, one of the Elders who is going to Cambodia Vietnamese speaking said my shoes looked like something you could eat! "They're like black licorice or gummy bears for your feet" is what he told me. He is from New Zealand, and apparently rain boots look different there.

My district played basketball together during Saturday gym time, and it was so fun! I was afraid I would embarrass myself because, as you probably know, I'm not very athletically inclined. But my district is awesome and they were all super supportive of me, even though I broke the rules like 5 times and I made an illegal shot that they let me count anyway (kind of. We aren't allowed to keep score in the MTC.) This probably sounds insignificant, but it just really made me feel so happy and loved.

My district also all went to choir yesterday, and it was amazing. We were all kind of hesitant to do it because we had to miss an hour of our studying time, but we decided just to try it out, and it was definitely worth it. The choir director is an amazing storyteller, and he teaches us a lot about the gospel as he explains how he wants us to sing what we are singing, The number we are practicing right now is beautiful as well, so it was a great use of an hour.

I also taught my district's Sunday school lesson yesterday, which was a little bit scary because I didn't know about it until yesterday morning, and I had to teach the same afternoon! But my district always has awesome discussions, so it went really well despite my lack of preparation.

In Cambodian Language news, we started learning how to read script on Saturday! The alphabet has 74 letters, and I don't have them even close to memorized yet, but I'm working on it! Cambodian script also isn't read side to side, it's read in loops! The main consonant is in the middle of the word, and then the other consonants and vowels go around it. But it looks way cool, so I'm excited to get better at it.

I want to end with a scripture that has really stuck with me this week, and I think just embodies missionary work and my experience here really well. It is Alma 26:12, which I cannot quote exactly, but it says basically that in our strength we are weak, but with God's strength we can do anything, and that is why we can even hope to be successful missionaries (or parents or students or anything else). You should look it up because it is excellent.

I hope you have a wonderful week, and look forward to pictures shortly!

Love,
Sister Lemon



No comments:

Post a Comment