Thursday, December 24, 2015

Episode 12: The One about the Members

Hello again everyone! Merry Christmas!

Ok, so this week I want to talk about all the church members here that are so amazing and I already love them all, and because I love you all, I want to tell you about them.

First is the Wheelocks. Brother Wheelock is our Ward Mission Leader, meaning he facilitates missionary work in our area and helps connect the full time missionaries with the local members. He is also kind of a surrogate dad, and I'm not sure if that's part of the job description, or if that's just how he is. He actually reminds me of my dad, but older. He loves baseball and telling stories about anything and everything. He also does funny little dances and likes to help us pull pranks on the other missionaries (nothing bad, of course). His wife, Sister Wheelock, is one of the sweetest ladies ever. She always feeds us goodies and tries to keep Brother Wheelock from telling too many stories and getting off track. The Wheelocks have 11 kids (holy cow!), and one of their daughters, Kaesee, is 14 and goes out knocking with us at least once a week. Talk about an awesome youth! She voluntarily gives up 2 hours in the evening to go out in the cold and rain and knock on strangers doors with us. I could go on about the Wheelocks for days!

Another amazing family is the Bakers. They are both converts to the church, and they absolutely love missionaries. I think it is because they are so grateful that missionaries didn't give up on them, even though they had lots of issues in their lives, and that with the help of the missionaries, they were able to turn their lives around and be happier. We go to their house about once a week for dinner or service, and every time we go there, they take a picture with us and we put it in a photo album they gave us. They love photos. There are pictures all over their walls. They are also really enthusiastic about trying to help us find people to teach. No one in their family has joined the church, but they are trying to convince their kids, grandkids, and other extended family to meet with the members.

I just met a new family this week who had been out of town. They are the Leslies. They have 2 little kids, Garrett and Bailey, who are hilarious! We were talking to them at dinner on Sunday, and Elder Lewis asked Garrett if he had been good enough for Santa to come this year. Garrett looked at him and said "Christmas isn't about Santa, it is about Jesus. We should be good so that Jesus will be proud of us." It was so funny, mostly because it was true, and because a 6 year old was rebuking our District leader! Brother Leslie teaches a senior design class for mechanical engineers at a local university (I can't remember which one). He also makes the most delicious Spanish rice I have ever eaten.

Sister Bartholomew teaches the Sunday School class that we take our Cmbodians to (and then have to translate for them). She served a mission in Hong Kong about 20 years ago, so she knows a lot about Asian culture, and is also supper enthusiastic about sister missionaries. She is really awesome at making sure Taa (our one active Cambodian grandpa) feels included in the discussions, even though he speaks pretty much no English.

Oh, and then there is the Meekers. Brother Meeker was one of the original missionaries in Thailand, and then just this summer they returned from a senior couples mission, also to Thailand! They are awesome at helping us when we have investigators come to church, and because Brother Meeker speaks Thai, he can sometimes communicate a little bit with the Cambodians, which is awesome when it comes to helping them feel welcome.

Well, I could go on about members forever, but maybe you want to know about me. Yesterday was the mission Christmas party, which President and Sister Blatter put together for is. It was way fun, because 200 missionaries is always a recipe for fun. We sang and did skits and all kinds of crazy shenanigans. The missionaries in my mission are really the greatest people ever.

I want to leave you with 2 Nephi 25:26, which says " And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." That verse pretty much speaks for itself, but I have been thinking about it a lot recently, so I thought I would share it with you.

Love you all lots, and I hope you have a joyful Christmas with your families.

Love,

Sister Lemon

This is me and my companion, Sister Humphereys. For some reason we always crack up when people take pictures of us, so they are all a little goofy looking.

This is me with all the missionaries that came in the week after me. I should have come in at the same time as all of them, but Cambodian sisters are a little off from the other missionaries up here, in more ways than one!

This is me with President and Sister Blatter like a week ago. Sorry it's late.

No comments:

Post a Comment